How to choose the right boxing glove? This is a question we are frequently asked and the answer can be found if we explore a few more questions - what material boxing glove do you need, and what quality boxing glove do you need.
How about kids boxing gloves? How should they fit, and where can you get them?
And should I wear handwraps when boxing? And if so, should I wear quick wraps when boxing, should I wear 180cm hand wraps when boxing, or should I wear gel hand wraps whens boxing?
Lets start with materials.
What material is best for a boxing glove?
Without a doubt, the best material your glove can be is cow hide leather. High quality leather boxing gloves will contour to the natural shape of your first and will be extremely durable. Synthetic boxing gloves or synthetic leather boxing gloves are a more affordable option that can provide a suitable alternative to a full leather boxing glove. But beware cheap vinyl or cheap synthetic boxing gloves. Sythentic materials are available in a range of quality levels. All SMAI synthetic gloves use only the best available. A high quality synthetic glove can outlast even a how hide leather glove if well looked after. Many big name brands will use low quality synthetic materials in their low end gloves,
How often will you use your boxing gloves?
If you are going to use your boxing gloves frequently, for example 2 to 3 times a week, you will want to choose a leather glove. Leather will dry out more easily, where a synthetic glove will contain the moisture. A leather boxing glove will have less odour and be more hygienic.
How to choose a kids boxing glove?
We recommend a high quality synthetic leather glove for kids. Don't be tempted to purchase a cheap eBay glove for your kids. A high quality synthetic leather glove will very durable and affordable. The SMAI Essentials kids boxing glove matches safety and quality in an affordable synthetic kids boxing glove.
Should I use boxing wraps?
Yes, absolutely every time. Boxing wraps secure and support your hands and wrist from injury by adding firmness and structure under your glove. Wraps will help distribute the force of a punch throughout your hand and avoid injuries by preventing your hands, fingers and wrist to move in an unnatural way. Boxing hand wraps are available from SMAI in a few options
- Boxing Wraps 180 inch— The classic wrap. Made from elasticied cotton, used like strapping wrapped around your wrist, knuckles and hand.
- Boxing Quick Hand Wraps — an easy and convenient alternative to hand wraps that allows you to protect your hands and add extra support to your wrists without having to learn the correct procedure in wrapping and strapping.
- Gel Quick Wraps—The Gel Quick Hand Wrap is the ultimate in support and protection for boxing training and cardio boxing training. Offering additional padding via a gel insert, these wraps will provide high levels of comfort against impact.
What types of boxing gloves are there?
- Bag gloves—As the name suggests, bag gloves should only be used on bags as they use less padding than sparring or competition gloves.
- Training gloves—These are the best all-around gloves for those new to the sport.
- Sparring gloves— Sparring gloves are similar to training gloves but have more padding to ensure that you do not injure your sparring partner.
- Competition gloves—Competition gloves are required for the competitive boxing ring. With less padding than their alternatives, these are suitable for both amateurs and professionals that are competing.
Want to know more? Read our guide on how to keep your gloves clean and fresh here